1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Junior Seau

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 2, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

It certainly places the car accident in 2010 where he drove his car off a cliff in Malibu into context.

Damn.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Junior Seau??

Too young. RIP.

Also: I really can't imagine too many roles that would be harder to play than that of "former NFL player." All the money in the world can't overcome the damage that must be done to their bodies. The cheering stops, but the pain never goes away. Don't know if that has anything to do with this specific loss, but I can't help but have that thought.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did it happen in public? That's a tough one. I remember calling a high school coach over and over one night trying to reach him after his wife committed suicide. I hated doing it, and thankfully he never answered. We ended up not reporting the cause of death, just that she had died, and I got an earful from a friend for even going that far. I told him it was relevant that she had died because he was missing games.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Holy crap, RIP.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This -- in addition to the many other deaths of "natural causes" (Reggie White et al.) or suicide/violence (Dave Duerson et al.) -- should have the NFL wringing its hands, and not just over how to protect its image against these sensational media outlets. Whether concussion-related or steroid-related or whatever, they have a major problem.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Nothing on any major news outlets yet that can confirm this.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

TMZ may be sleazy, but I can't remember them getting a story wrong, can you? (Honest question)

8. THIS..

I think TMZ qualifies as a Major news org. with regard to this stuff.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

News outlets are waiting for AP to confirm. I really hope TMZ is wrong.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Confirmed (San Diego U-T)

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/02/report-of-shooting-at-seaus-home/

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct.

North County Times is reporting it.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_bccb943a-ba7e-56f3-8756-13d9c81a8258.html#.T6F7lqKw4wo.facebook

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

They ended up reporting the cause of death.

Draft saved Draft deleted