1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Julius Campbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I used to be in the camp of "It's a MOVIE! It's art. It's supposed to entertain, not document reality!" But as I get older and see how as the actual event fades into the background and falsehoods start to take root as reality and the backlash when people then find out that what they think is true isn't spreads to all of their media consumption, I'm much less accepting of filmmakers who bend reality.

If JFK isn't telling me the truth, then the Washington Post isn't telling me the truth, seems to be a weird but increasingly common way of thinking. That scares the hell out of me.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

According to the ESPN takedown posted by D-Day, the championship game was actually a 27-0 rout.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the line by Les Nessman on the original "WKRP in Cincinnati," and I'm paraphrasing: Why was Kevin Costner sure there was a conspiracy in JFK and thought there was a single shooter in Bull Durham?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh - you mentioned the Washington Post.
    Spielberg’s ‘The Post’: Good Movie, Bad History

Why didn't Spielberg make the movie about the New York Times? Because he REALLY wanted to make a movie about Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep who had never worked together before.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone watching JFK closely would note that every time the characters discussed a theory or rumor it was labeled as such. The conspiracy theorists read too much into it. So did the Warren Commission apologists.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But the grassy knoll ....

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was all well and good until Jim Garrison started speech-ifiying in court.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

TC Williams might not have been in the sticks, but Groveton and Herndon sure were back in 1971. My cousins moved to Ox Road near Fox Lake off of Rt. 50 back in the mid-1960s and went to Herndon; it was like Appalachia.

Draft saved Draft deleted