1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Julius Campbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 28, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Basically, 95 percent of the movie was bullshit, and Herman Boone is a con artist.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Do share...

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some other issues ...
    1. They made TC Williams look like a school in the sticks. It's about 4 miles from the DC city limits in a congested suburb called Alexandria.
    2. Bertier's car accident happened during the off-season.
    3. While the final score of the state championship game was 10-7, that trick play didn't decide it. It was 10-7 early by fairly conventional means and TC's defense held on.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Always the danger of a popular Hollywood movie that is "based on a true story." I can't tell you how many slow-witted acquaintances of mine believe/believed that Oliver Stone's JFK is how it really went down.

I'm hearing similar complaints about "Bohemian Rhapsody." And our own former SJ'er Buck Weaver has built his career on debunking "Eight Men Out."

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Miracle takes all sorts of liberties with the story of the 1980 U.S. hockey team, in particular by using the McClanahan-O'Callahan feud as a vehicle to express the (real) Minnesota-Massachusetts rivalry on the team. McClanahan didn't play in the 1976 NCAA championship game that supposedly has O'Callahan mad at him, and the two never got into a fight during practice.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What's even more fun is "inspired by a true story."

Example: "Eight Below."

Wiki:
    "Inspired" covers a lot of ground. I feel fairly certain the "Caddyshack" writers probably golfed a time or two. Might have even inspired them to write the screenplay.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rudy wants in on this....

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I love the Coen Bros. claiming Fargo was based on a true story.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted