1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Juan Antonio Samaranch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 21, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Former IOC dictator:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/04/21/sports/AP-OLY-Obit-Samaranch.html?_r=1

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Don't you mean, RIP your excellency? (Excellent at being a corrupt, self-important scoundrel, that is?)

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Classic -- " former dictator"

He passed hearing Michael Bubble in his head and dreaming of giant beavers gnawing at his toes.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There may be rejoicing in Atlanta over his passing.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This might be the first "RIP Thread" where no one says anything nice about the deceased.

6. C'mon people, yeah he was a self-important, corrupt dictator of the IOC, but it's not like he was involved with Francisco Franco and the Spanish fascist movement or anything.
    Oh, wait ...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not nearly as bad as Avery Brundige. R.I.P.

8. Boom_70

Oh there have been others. Clear choice though to waive the mandatory 3 day SJ mourning period.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I suppose this time there will be no statement of condolence issued by SJ?

10. Boom_70

I dunno. Seems like we should issue something. A.P has already called.

How about something like "The SJ community comes together to rejoice in the passing of former dictator Juan Antonio Samaranch. Suck it Sammy"

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't know, Boom. "Rejoices" seems kind of harsh.

Can't we just acknowledge it and mention that the celebration -- with free beer -- will begin at noon.

12. Boom_70

Good suggestion. How about this:

"The SJ community comes together to acknowledge the passing of former dictator Juan Antonio Samaranch." An official SJ delegation lead by spnited will be attending the memorial service in Vancouver when Samaranch corpse is strapped to a luge and sent on a final run. From there his body will be loaded on a pick up truck and be driven through the city so Canadians can say a final goodbye to the beloved Olympic leader. "

Draft saved Draft deleted