1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jose Fernandez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Knock on wood, I am so grateful to be pushing 40 and having survived the "doing stupid shit that could get me killed" phase of my life. By the grace of God go I.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah ... but when it comes to boating specifically, it seems like there are a lot of people who don't consider risks adequately. Obviously drivers do it too. Maybe it says more that boating is inherently dangerous, I don't know.

Story also said nobody was wearing life jackets, although it didn't matter here.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fuckin A, man

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

In black neighborhoods it seems like you are at risk just sitting in your car

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I did a lot of boating when I lived in Arizona, and nobody ever really wore life jackets when they were just sitting on the boat when it was moving. You put them on for skiing or tubing, but not for just being on board.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Get home from church, sit down to watch football and see this news at the bottom of the screen.

Fuck. Just fuck.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So how was fucking church?

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Amazing talent. Tragic. Loved watching him because he was one of those guys who you could truly tell he was having fun.

Didn't know much of his back story until today.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you really want to know ... ;) had a fill-in priest who was an ESL guy with a heavy accent, so I hardly understood a word he said. I was thinking of Phil Hartman in The Sinatra Group saying to Luther Campbell, "Can't understand a word."

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Crews, Olin, Ojeda, also in the dark, crash into an unlit wooden pier, alcohol involved. So sad.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is terrible and tragic.

But it was also stupid. Seriously, why would anyone be boating at 3 a.m., unless it was a ship/boat lost at sea, or something like that?

Boating is considered so recreational, which makes it seem like it's just a leisurely activity and anybody can do it safely and smartly. Yet, that is so not true. So many boaters truly are just "recreational" operators, and don't have enough common sense or experience to really do it right, particularly near the shoreline, or around jetties.

My family owned a sailboat and a couple of motorboats over the years, and my cousins are even more experienced than us. None of us were ever out on the water past about 8 p.m. When it was dark, you came in -- and slowly.

I firmly believe there should be laws requiring boating training and licenses. Even if kids can get them -- there are many young people who are good boaters -- but there should still be a process in place for licensing operators. It is not something that just anyone can do well, or should do. But that's the way it's treated.

And yes, I'd bet practically everything I own that toxicology reports come back saying the boaters were drinking. People do stupid things, sometimes, and occasionally, it costs them their lives.

murphyc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted