1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jose Fernandez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was wondering how you die in a boat accident in that area. That explains it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does it get foggy there, on the water?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was 3 a.m. and those rocks are black. Boaters were almost certainly drinking being out at that hour, I'd think.

4. Dick Whitman

OK, so the darkness was the visibility issue.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Thought this was another joke thread. Damn.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I do a fair amount of boating in the Maryland area, and there are a LOT of free navigational apps out there for smartphones. And they can be more than just charts. Some have live weather overlays.

A lot of things can be very unsafe if you lack situational awareness. Fog or no fog, darkness or no darkness, impairment or no impairment.

8. Dick Whitman

I always grouped Fernandez and Strasburg together as two guys I badly wanted to see succeed because they were pretty much on the same trajectory, coming up and showing so much exciting promise as dominant young power pitchers, then getting derailed by injury. It's probably a syndrome of growing up with Dwight Gooden came up and looked like an all-timer and never fulfilled his early promise. I was always thrilled to see a Fernandez line along the lines of 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 12 SO.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my invite.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a very sad and tragic loss. You've really got to know the waters, and where you are every second, if you're boating after dark. And this happens fairly often in the waters off Miami.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My first thoughts were of Steve Olin and Tim Crews.

I saw that no one was wearing a life jacket. Not that they would've survived that collision, but ...

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus speed. Odds are, they hit that jetty, were ejected into the water without life vests and drowned. Sad.

Edit: two found under the boat, the third in shallow water, and authorities are saying it wasn't drowning but impact.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted