1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jordan Olerud (John’s daughter)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Olerud is my all-time favourite Blue Jay and I remember hearing his daughter was born with an ultra-rare genetic disorder. What I didn’t know is that she was reportedly the only person in the world with it. She was 19. This breaks my heart.

John Olerud's daughter Jordan, born with rare genetic disorder, dies at 19

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I have several friends who have children with special needs, including my fiance's nephew, who is nonverbal and about to turn 18. The impact that has on families is just overwhelming. Such a tough row to hoe. RIP.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The people and the families who bear this are the strongest you'll ever meet.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Related to this topic, I am a casual acquaintance with a single mother with an autistic son. Based on what she first told me, it sounded severe. He was non-verbal for a long time and couldn't attend public school. I ran into her a few weeks ago and asked about her son. She said he was probably going to have to go to a group home/assisted living.

1) Should I have asked about the son?
    2) How do I respond to her son having to leave her home?

I just don't know how to discuss it. When she first told me about her son, I thought the conversation was good. She talked about the times her son was happy and seemingly 'better off.' I don't think she was upset by anything I asked or said the first time we spoke. But hearing a child might have to be sent to a group home, what do I say? "I'm sorry" doesn't seem right. It seems like conveying condolences and the situation was final.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I guess I'd let them take the lead as to
    whether and how much they want to talk about their son's situation.

About the group-home news, I'd say, "I hope that works out for all of you. I know you're doing your best for him."

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A children's hospital is a deeply humbling experience.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. Sure. He’s a part of her family and she loves him dearly. If you didn’t ask, she might have been upset that you didn’t.

2. What Starman said.

Draft saved Draft deleted