1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jon Lord, Deep Purple organist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Co-wrote "Smoke on the Water." Dead from pulmonary embolism at 71. Also had been suffering from pancreatic cancer:

http://www.nme.com/news/deep-purple/64953

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He was terrific on Made In Japan, particularly on the awesome 20 minutes that was "Space Truckin'".

RIP

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

WHAT!?! I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU SAID!!! LIP CONCORD !?!

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I first really got into Deep Purple when they reunited in the 1980s and released "Perfect Strangers." (Started listening to their earlier stuff immediately after). What was so great about them is that in a time when everybody was using synthesizers, the group really stood out with Lord's old-fashioned organ sound. RIP.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he ever got seasick moving that keyboard back and forth.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

My brother saw Deep Purple at California Jam in 1974, at the old Ontario Motor Speedway. They played at night, and Ritchie Blackmore blew up his amps during "Space Truckin." I was fortunate to see them at Cal Expo in Sacramento on the "Perfect Strangers" tour. Lord was phenomenal, and yes, mp, I agree, his old-fashioned organ stood out within Blackmore's neo-Classical compositions during a heavy keyboard era that included Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman, among others.

Draft saved Draft deleted