1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Winter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Great guitarist, but man, the guy looked like death for decades.

3. YankeeFan

Saw this performance live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNUTqDJJaI

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Have you ever been to a rock 'n' roll recital?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9hs_Bls8s&feature=youtu.be

(Radio ad for 1973 concert starring Johnny Winter, the James Gang (post-Joe Walsh), Spirit, the New York Dolls and Brownsville Station.)

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

One helluva rock guitarist, and maybe a better bluesman.

A few years back at a weekend music festival I saw Winter, Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, and David Lindley. It was an embarrassment of riches, live guitar heaven.

R.I.P. Johnny.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wow. I was a fan of Johnny (and Edgar). Saw him play maybe five or six times, the last time at Toad's Place in New Haven around 1985. Hell of a guitarist.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Johnny hadn't been well for a while, great, great guitarist, huge loss for the blues.

RIP

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Many basketball insiders will say that Winters is the
    real pioneer of The Triangle Offense and not Phil Jackson.

9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Saw him live just last year and he was helped onto the stage, sat and played his set with absolutely zero emotion, just went through the motions. The guitarist in his band was fantastic though, playing lead/rhythm swaps like 1970s Rick Derringer.
    "Johnny Winter And Live" is an all timer rock classic with killer covers of "Good Mornin' Little School Girl" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash". "Still Alive and Well" was damn good, too.
    RIP to a favorite.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That live album burns. The way he roared through "Jack Flash" was just unbelievably good.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

When I was in college at Madison in the early 80's, Johnny was going to play at Headliners, a pretty good venue that had some great acts come through. My buddy worked there as a bouncer and when Johnny was nowhere to be found a couple minutes before show time we were sent out to neighboring bars to find him. Sure enough, about half a block away we found him at the legendary 602 Club, a great melting pot dive bar that hosted everyone from academics to aging hippies to homeless drunks that scrounged together enough coin for some beers. Johnny was hammered, slumped over the bar but it wasn't difficult to identify an albino guitar legend. We propped him up and got him to the show and some how he absolutely killed it. Of course I was so drunk and stoned that perhaps my memory of the night is a bit hazy. BTW I also happened upon Wendy O Williams and her band in the ally behind Headliners one night. Smoked a joint with her. Woke up the next morning and was scared shitless that I had contracted some hideous disease. So far so good but who knows what weird strains were coursing through her veins.

12. YankeeFan

RIP Sluggo.

Draft saved Draft deleted