1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Podres

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Podres, who shut out the Yankees in Game Seven of the 1955 World Series to give the Brooklyn Dodgers their only World Championship, died last night at 75.

Remarkably, the losing pitcher in that game, Tommy Byrne, died Dec. 20.

RIP.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10575456

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My father coached his sons when they were in high school. Our families are practically from the same town. I sent my mother a text when I saw this on the wire, to tell Dad.

My sister called me 30 minutes later. She wanted to know why Dad was crying.

RIP, sir.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Embassy: That is a wonderful post... thank you.

RIP, Mr. Podres

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Johnny Podres left the most enjoyable impression, to me, in that HBO special on the Dodgers last fall. He just seemed like a guy you couldn't help but like.

RIP to a pitcher who had ice water in his veins for long after that Game 7.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jim Fregosi will miss his racetrack running mate.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Johnny Podres made Curt Schilling a starting pitcher.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wonder if his blog, SonOfHorny38 or whatever it is, will have anything today....

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

As a former Brooklynite and a big fan back then (when I was 9 years old), he will always be remembered for giving us our only World Series. I met Podres later when he was given one of our awards at a NY BBWAA dinner and he was indeed a nice person.

So I offer my heartfelt RIP.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I thought about that HBO show today when I heard he died. I agree with what you said.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was kind of surprised the AP story didn't mention much about Podres' long career in coaching. Probably more accomplished in that respect than as a player.

And by my count, this leaves only Snider, Erskine and Loes alive among the 55 Dodgers regulars. Zimmer and a few other bench players are still living as well, but man, there's not many of those guys left.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Don't forget Don Newcombe, Steak. And Vin Scully.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Duh, can't believe I forgot Newk.

And the latest AP story does have a graph at the end about Podres' coaching career. The one I saw an hour ago made no mention of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted