1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Majors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 3, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Excellent idea. I'm going to do just that!

2. TigerVols

...great anecdote! My cousin (with whom I share a name) played for Johnny and the Vols in that game.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know it was a different era, but 16 points seems like decent containing. :)

Bo's first year was 1982. Herschel's last year was 1982.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Johnny Majors was like George Perles and Dick Tomey. Coaches who looked like they were 68 years old on the sidelines... and they were in their 50s.

TigerVols and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

SEC coaches, Matthew McConaughey, and airline pilots speak the same language. I have no idea what it is.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Majors is a big reason there are scholarship limitations now.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

JimBob TigerVols?

That game must have been played in an alternate universe. Tennessee hasn't played in a California bowl game since 1945.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    TigerVols likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Did you ever have any dealings with Neal Callaway while he was OL coach under Helton? Former UAB HC and an SEC caliber OL coach, he has the worst case of mush mouth combined with the Bear Bryant mumble that I've ever heard. I'm 64, lived in the South all my life, and it was all I could do to understand half of what he said. I laughed at the idea of him dealing with urban black recruits from the West coast. "What did he just say?".

9. TigerVols

Yeah, that's funny because I always thought the bowl he played in that year (or thereabouts) was the Garden State Bowl. I figured my memory was incorrect, not the writer's!

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Dammit. Wrong is wrong. All I can think of now is that it must have been a game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl.
    Those of you suffering from CRS* know what I mean.

*Can't remember shit

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tennessee played UCLA at the Rose Bowl in 1989 so that might be what you're misremembering.

And it played USC at the Coliseum in 1981.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The '89 game was probably the one.

Draft saved Draft deleted