1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Majors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 3, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Bad week for former SEC coaches

OscarMadison and Batman like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of sitting in his seat as a 19-year-old covering one of his media sitdowns. He was nice about it.

First --- but definitely not the last --- Vol to get screwed out of the Heisman.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hope Bill Curry's not next. The conscience of college football.
    To be honest, I assumed Majors had died years ago.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bringing back memories of the 80s SEC. not exactly a golden era for the league in terms of national titles or anything, but I enjoyed it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

First head gig was at Iowa State. RIP

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One of the happiest events of my life was attending my first Johnny Majors Football Camp where we got to stay in the dorms and practice in Neyland. He gave each and every one of us a good deal of attention (and really helped my game, I have to say).

Somewhere in my keepsake box is a very small T-shirt that my daddy gave me...probably the first T-shirt I ever owned...it's orange and it has those iron-on letters and they say, "welcome home, johnny."

I'm pissed the Paul Hornung outlives him.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Didn't have the greatest record against the Bear, but remains on an eternal one-game winning streak.

[​IMG]

TigerVols and OscarMadison like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Gotta admit to this, too.

And it always seemed like he and The Bear respected each other in a way that mutual respect didn't seem to happen between Bryant and most coaches.

10. tapintoamerica

Frame the shirt.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I had dinner in a group with him the night before USC at Pitt in 1974. I was the Daily Trojan reporter. The regular beat guys treated me like one of the gang. It was the epic Anthony Davis vs. Tony Dorsett showdown with Heisman implications. Dorsett ripped off a 24-yard gain his first carry. Ended the game with 55 yards as the powerful Trojans defense shut him down. Davis also did nothing remarkable. Pat Haden got knocked out early. Nobody even knew who USC's backup quarterback was. It was Vince Evans, who came in and Pitt couldn't contain him. Trojans won, 16-7. People were surprised that Evans was black. Many thought John McKay would never have another black quarterback after all the crap he took sticking with Jimmy Jones a few years before. Another note: The Trojans had a defensive lineman named Otis Page, who was white.

Many years later, Tennessee came to Anaheim for the Freedom Bowl. All I remember was the postgame news conference with Majors. After 10 minutes, he left. I turned to where a lot of Tennessee writers were sitting and asked if they could interpret for me. I couldn't understand a word he said.

12. tapintoamerica

Although in 1980 or 1981, weren’t both Bo and Herschel in the league at the same time?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted