1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Blanchard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 25, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great HR numbers in limited ABs in some simulation seasons I was part of years ago.

RIP...

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Probably most famous (or infamous) as one of the Yankees who took "Ball Four" really personally, even though he was barely mentioned in it. When Jim Bouton was finally invited to Old Timers' Day in the late 1990s, Blanchard was one of the few who still snubbed him.

Here's an NYT article that was published around that time:

http://tinyurl.com/ckejmv

Say this for old ballplayers, they sure can hold a grudge ...

But yeah, Blanchard was awesome in "Micro League Baseball." Probably the second-best hitter on that 61 Yankees team (in the video game) after Mantle.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I believe Blanchard's disike for Bouton was when Bouton described Blanchard as "just another jocko," but because he drank with Mantle and Billy Martin, he thought he was one of the guys. Bouton also claimed that "once in awhile, just to enhance his image, Johnny Blanchard would smack some poor guy off a bar stool."

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The truth always hurts.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I just finied one of the McFarland Press books on the Yankees of that era and Blanchard sounds like somewhat of a character. He really hated Bouton and loved being a Yankee. Great pinch hitter as well, but in his own words was a bad fielder. Drank heavily after being traded from the Yanks and never really recovered.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was Blanchard Mr. Inside or Mr. Outside? I forget.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Assuming you're being serious, you're referring to Doc Blanchard, the Army running back of the 1940s, not Johnny Blanchard of the 1960s.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Elston Howard put up some massive numbers, too.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Aw hell, these decades all run together.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Couldn't run, though.

(per Casey)

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Glenn Davis?[/SportsJournalists.comhalloffamecrossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted