1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Stephens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Former NFL Rookie of the Year killed in auto crash:

John M. Stephens, the 1988 Offensive Rookie of the Year for the New England Patriots, has been killed after his pickup truck ran off a highway and struck some trees, authorities said Wednesday.

Stephens, 43, apparently lost control of his vehicle on a rural stretch of Louisiana Highway 169 near Shreveport on Tuesday evening, the Caddo Parish Sheriff's office said.

Stephens wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was thrown after the truck hit some trees head-on, sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Chadwick said in a statement.

The statement said Stephens apparently was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time of the single-vehicle accident.

"It appeared Stephens lost control and tried to overcorrect his steering, causing him to cross back over the road and hit the trees," the sheriff's office added.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4441568

I don't remember if he was projected to be a big star, but I did own the man's Starting Lineup figurine.

[​IMG]

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's too bad. He had some good seasons with the Patriots.
    RIP.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If I knew this, I wouldn't have created a RIP thread.

At the time of his death, Stephens was awaiting trial in Caddo District Court on charges he raped a woman who accepted his offer to show her a piece of property that was for rent. Stephens faced forcible rape charges. He had pleaded not guilty.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/former-football-star-killed-in-caddo-wreck

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He and Flutie almost dragged an otherwise brutal horseshit team into the playoffs.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Heaven needed Leonard Russell, but got confused on its one-year wonder Patriots running backs and took John Stephens instead.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Still alive:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Had an outstanding rookie season.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was terrible in Super Tecmo Bowl. Him, Tatupu, and Grogan/Wilson formed the worst backfield trio on the game.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Serves him right for slapping that little girl at Wal-Mart. [/crossthread]

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I actually remember him in his early days in the NFL. They coincided with my early days following the sport.

Because people are innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the law, RIP John Stephens.

Draft saved Draft deleted