1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Slattery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On a board for journalists, the concern is that folks are confusing the Emmy Award winning television journalist, who was on the air in the biggest market in the nation, for 35 years, with the character actor, famous for his part in a cult show, on a cable network, that produces 13 episodes a year?

I'm familiar with Roger Sterling, and I recognize the actor who plays him. But, his character is more famous than the actor.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Please give an example of John Slattery's journalistic work.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I was unfamiliar with the name John Slattery, in either context. (I don't have HBO.) I learned today that Slattery the reporter was actually from my hometown. So, RIP.

4. YankeeFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byijxLqlVQ

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Forget it, he's rolling.

6. YankeeFan

Mad Men is on basic cable.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fair, YankeeFan, regarding the 9/11 reporting.

So many thoughts on this post. Does his life matter more because you shared a zip code 40 years ago?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

https://screen.yahoo.com/herb-welch-shots-fired-000000066.html

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What I was envisioning...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I recognized the name and realized it was because of the guy on Mad Men, though I've seen that show maybe once. But is there really a debate that more people on this board know the guy who is only known in a portion of the Northeast with a guy who is on a show seen presumably around the world?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, YankeeFan isn't the only person who thinks any person who is well known in New York must be famous around the world because.....New York, dammit!

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Really. No relationship is more special than between a TV viewer and an actor, so the lives of actors are much more important. Unless you don't watch a particular show. Then who gives a shit, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted