1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Saunders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 10, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dickie V was on Russillo and Kanell and lost it when telling the story about Saunders surprising him at the hospital on the day of Vitale's throat surgery to determine whether he had cancer. Little dusty in the car.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I returned to this thread hoping to find out something, because the cause of death being absent is a huge hole in the story. Never occurred to me that it may be suicide, but now I can't see it being anything else. So very sad.

As someone else said, Saunders was one of the very few guys at the WWL was was not in any way a guy you wished talked less.

5. Damn, like OT I never considered suicide. Didn't know he struggled with depression either.
    Shit.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sadly, it was the first place my mind went when I saw that no cause of death was listed. And then I read about his struggles with depression.

I understand his family's desire for privacy at this point and they're not taking an unusual route, but not talking about suicide keeps the stigma of mental health issues out there. Robin Williams' death sucked, but I'm pretty sure the family and officials were out front right away. On his family's end, I admired that. In my twisted mind, I'm hoping that led to some good for some people who were struggling.

Vombatus, murphyc and HanSenSE like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The older I get, the more people I learn who struggle with depression. People who, from the outside, you might wonder "what the hell are they sad about? They have everything."

Could be chemical.

Could be genetic.

Could be the "is there all there is?" after reaching success that so many strive for.

We all struggle with something that no one - and I mean NO ONE - knows anything about.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Now if only we could talk about it a bit more ...

9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Between retirements, departures and now death ESPN has fast become a shell of
    the company that we once knew.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Family statement:

STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILY OF JOHN SAUNDERS - ESPN MediaZone

"This tragic news brings us unspeakable sorrow. John was the patriarch of our family, and we can’t believe he is gone. We are sincerely touched by the outpouring of support and sadness, which is a reflection of the character and integrity that defined him.

“While we don’t yet have all the specifics, John wasn’t feeling well physically in recent days and sadly, he was unresponsive earlier this morning. We appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers for our cherished father, husband, brother and uncle.”

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, it's where my mind went, only because on Monday, a coach I knew in my hometown died suddenly. My brother knew him well and I texted him to see what was up after I saw it on Facebook and he didn't know. He was 53 -- fifty-freakin'-three -- and the outpouring of love and how much this guy touched high school kids was incredible. I was absolutely floored when my brother told me it suicide. The LAST guy I ever would have thought of.

But ... we all have our demons. We all have our issues. And you would think at some point you would reach out to help with them. But having only dealt with depression on the periphery and not having a full grasp of all that it entails, I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, that statement is a bit of a semi-relief. But still ... 61. So damn young. Lost a high school friend earlier this year -- former NBA player Sean Rooks -- at 46. Heart disease. It's been a rough year. See and listen to your doctor. I'm going next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted