1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Saunders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed him. Genuine without having to overhype a moment or event for the sake of doing so.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fond memories of Mr Saunders may he RIP

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He's from Baltimore, WMAR TV 2, earlier in his career. Oprah came from WJZ 13 around the same time. Of the two, I always appreciated Saunders more. Professional, got stories across, without being any part of the story. A class act. RIP.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Saunders had a twinkle in his eye and a magnetic personality that was evident even through a camera lens thousands of miles away. He was my favorite of them all from the early days, and that never changed. RIP, big guy.

Tweener likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's an elephant in this room and I don't much like it but that's the way my f-ed mind sometimes works. I've seen terms like sudden and unexpected but nothing else on cause of death. Did not know he dealt with depression. So it makes me wonder.

I never met John but agree with those who said he was a pro. Seemed like he could handle any assignment well.

RIP.

Vombatus, wicked, YankeeFan and 2 others like this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The unspoken is that I'm guessing this was sadly a suicide. A very vague obit, the phrase "died suddenly" and it hasn't been said to be a car crash, health or criminal activity that someone else caused.

Some might say "he's dead, it doesn't matter now" but, if he took his own life, it matters to me because it probably could have been prevented.

9. HanSenSE

Don't apologize for asking THE question, Moddy. You could drive a Zamboni through that hole.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I'm not apologizing - I just don't like the signs. I hope it isn't the case. IF it is, and we don't know a damn thing other than the signs, it points out that depression is like alcoholism in that it is a beast that must constantly be battled.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I also did not know Saunders had depression battles, either.

It's unfortunately common in the broadcast field, even for those who may have made it to the pinnacle of the industry.

I've often thought, in two decades of doing this, "aside from a larger paycheck, would my life be any better if I would have actually gotten to ESPN or a top 20 market instead of where I am today?"

Yet I do know the pressure of looking over your shoulder to get replaced is constant for those at the apex.

12. HanSenSE

Let me rephrase then. Good question, one that press release didn't answer. I can only imagine those most involved in this are processing a lot of grief as we speak and can't answer.

And that said, let's hope we're both wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted