1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Paul Stevens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Still looking for a second source. SCOTUSBlog got the first unconfirmed report out there about 20 minutes ago.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

National ABC confirming:

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Helped crack the Japanese codes in WW2 then became a Supreme Court Justice. Except for that, didn't do shit.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Only last week I saw he had an autobiography out which I put on my wish list.

Stevens told some amusing anecdotes about his childhood in 1920s Chicago for the Ken Burns' Prohibition doc.

RIP.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I have to think there's a very good chance he was the last person alive who was at Wrigley Field that day and saw Babe Ruth call his shot (or not call his shot, depending on which version you believe) in the 1932 World Series.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And lived long enough to see the Cubs win the World Series in 2016.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I had decided in college in the late 70's I wanted to be an Eisenhower Republican. We just lost one of the last of the Eisenhower Republicans and one of the best.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He was nominated by Nixon; this way a nomination is supposed to work; a great person not a tool for your beliefs. Kennedy put forward Whizzer White who went the other way. We are supposed to get great judges on Supreme Court, not Thomas, Kavanaugh.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Stevens was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Ford.

Stevens became an appeals court judge under Nixon.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My mistake thanks for correction

Draft saved Draft deleted