1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, John Mashek, longtime reporter and father of one of our own at SJ.com

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 6, 2009.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear the news. You have my deepest & sincere condolences.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

J_M, I'm very sorry for your loss, and I wish all the best to you and your family.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

He sounds like a hell of a guy. I'd have loved to have shared a few drinks with him.

My condolences to you and your family, J_M.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

J_M, my prayers and deepest condolences to you and your family. Sounds like he not only lived a great life but also raised a great family. Cling tightly to them and remember all the good times.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My condolences to you and your family. Fair winds and following seas.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's the nature of Jesus Muscatel to NOT go on and on about what a storied career his father had.
    Folks at the Sun Herald we're treated, I think, to some time with the man on an occasion or two.
    And he was present at an AP summit or two on the Coast.

Jim, my sincere condolences to you and your family.
    You've been holding steady and busting your ass with the Sun-Herald as the industry continues its shrinkage.
    I most recently enjoyed seeing your football byline with a New Orleans dateline and am relieved to know that your father was taken suddenly, instead of with a period of suffering.
    God bless you and the extended Mashek family.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Condolences, JM.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Thanks again to everyone ... the kind words mean a lot.

The only thing my old man loved more than journalism, sports, politics and the combinations therein was his family.

That's why he had to be at Rebecca and Emily's soccer game. That was my dad to a T.

I'm gonna try to answer all the emails at work and PMs here while I beat rocks on high school football night. If I don't get to ya, give me time.

I'm sure Dad had a cold one or two with Jack Nelson and Bob Novak during Game 6. He gave me a lotta shit for bein' a Yankees fan, but hey, I couldn't help it, I looked like Thurman Munson and came of age in the '70s. Reggie, Louisiana Lightnin', Scufflin' Lou, Mickey "Scuze Me While I Kiss the Sky" Rivers. All those Orioles fans I grew up with ... had to go my own way ...

The Phils were always close second, but second.

Jesus/Mash

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Likewise... sorry for the loss, Mash...

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

So sorry for your loss. And some beautiful words in those obituaries. RIP to your dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted