1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, John Kuenster (Baseball Digest)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Who didn't avidly read the confidential scouting reports every spring?

2. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Mr. Kuenster always did his homework, and did not take any guff from players, whether they were stars or journeymen. He knew Mickey Mantle's idol was Stan Musial, so when Mantle once blew him off for an interview, Kuenster said aloud in the clubhouse: "Well, Stan Musial would've never done that." Mantle sheepishly apologized and gave Kuenster the interview he sought.
  3. It was always a pleasant surprise to get a $50 or $100 check in the mail out of the blue when Baseball Digest picked up one of my stories (until my paper found out, and wrote a cease and desist letter to Baseball Digest, for which I still haven't forgiven them. Never got another check).

The envelope with the checks would often have a hand-written note from Mr. Kuenster. RIP.
  4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I was 23 when my first such reprint ran in Baseball Digest and my first check arrived from Mr. Kuenster. That was the proudest day of my career to that point. Felt like a million bucks because it was the first time any of my ramblings ever made it into a national publication.

RIP Mr. Kuenster.
  5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Worked for a spell at a paper where the union contract only got us 25 percent of any reprint payments, with the company keeping 75 percent. So every so often, I'd get a check for $12.50 from the Digest folks.

Really made me love my employer for its need to glom onto that $37.50. What'd they buy with that, fragance cakes for the executive men's room?

RIP John Kuenster, outstanding baseball writer.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was an avid subscriber for most of my childhood.

Found an old issue from the early '80s, I believe, in a box of mags that my father-in-law gave me. Ahead of its time in some ways. The headline: "Is the 20-game winner an endangered species?" Behind its time in others: Mario Soto is referred to for having a "hot-blooded Latino temper."
  7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Read this quote from Clemente about Latin players having "pepper blood."

Draft saved Draft deleted