1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Hughes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Breakfast Club was a far better movie than sixteen candles which was better than the same movie as Pretty in Pink, but not as good as when it was Some Kind of wonderful.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Harsh, PC, but fairly true, though I too would put the first Vacation and Planes, Trains and Automobiles above the fray.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm obviously biased, but Planes, Trains, the original Vacation, and Christmas Vacation are in my top 10 of favorite comedies, with Mr. Mom probably cracking the top 15. He's definitely my favorite non-Naked Gun/Airplane comedy writer. And judging by Funny People, Apatow's well on his way to not transitioning well.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't remember him in Breakfast Club or Weird Science and I've seen both in the last month. Didn't know he'd written so many hit flicks. RIP.
    TMZ strikes again. The force is strong with them.

5. Guy_Incognito

Ferris Bueller doesn't hold up?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hughes' stock in trade took some talent. Fresh Horses, which he wasn't involved with and which killed a genre and the careers of Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy, proves that it's not so easy to do. Then again, the best John Hughes film was one he had nothing to do with, Lucas.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It holds up beautifully. So does Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Mr. Mom ...

8. Guy_Incognito

I agree, though ferris is the best of the bunch. That & Breakfast Club were THE movies for our generation's adolescence.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Sixteen Candles" was moderately funny. "Breakfast Club" tried to be poignant by creating a series of stupid cliches and then having the cliches hug. Plus, I was a high school senior when "Breakfast Club" came out, and it missed the high school experience by a country mile. It played like it was written by a 40 year old with no kids who vaguely remembered his own high school experience.

I do love the first "Vacation." Great movie.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sad, sad news. Hopefully he and Aunt Edna are whooping it up somewhere.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Now he smells like mothballs, too.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Very true.

Draft saved Draft deleted