1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Hodge, New Castle (Ind.) Courier-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Aug 1, 2015.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

For those who have covered high school basketball in Indiana in the past 30 years, odds are that you dealt with Hodgie. He was a fixture at the New Castle Field House and at the state finals until recently retiring as The Courier-Times' longtime sports editor. He passed away Friday from an apparent heart attack while golfing ... or, to put it his way, fighting the "July roll" out on the golf course.

Former sports editor John Hodge dies - The Courier-Times: News

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

RIP. John was a character and a very unique personality, but he had a great love for his job and for covering New Castle-area sports.

We always had great conversations in the press boxes and often when I'd end up covering games at the Fieldhouse.

One of my favorite memories of his was the one time he tried to run John Andretti's celebrity/media go-kart race at the New Castle track, he nearly caused a 10-car pileup when every other kart started moving except his when the green was thrown (I, thankfully, evaded it).

Draft saved Draft deleted