1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Ferguson..last of the old time hockey guys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jul 15, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Posted over on the hockey thread but it deserves its own. Nice obit in today's Toronto Star;

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/236116

I remember a few of his legendary battles with Eddie Shack.

As dyed in the wool Leafs fan, I both loathed and respected John Ferguson.

And the guy could flat out play.

He was more than just a bodyguard for Montreal's stars but because of his reputation – he got into his first fight 12 seconds into his first NHL game – it is often forgotten that he led all NHL rookies in scoring and was runner-up in voting for rookie of the year.

Ferguson was always ready to fight. In 500 NHL games, he racked up 1,214 minutes in penalties. But he could score, too: 145 goals, 158 assists. His best year, offensively, was 1968-69, with 29 goals and 23 assists.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's Christmastime in New York, and this college kid was at the Garden courtesy of a friend's dad, some rows behind the penalty box. As was his wont, Ferguson was inside it. A few rows, maybe three, a Ranger fan, oh. say, 40, was taking the opportunity to give John a piece of his mind.
    "Ferguson, you suck!," the guy declared, loudly, three or times.
    Then John turned around and gave him a look, stating in a firm but conversational tone, "I what?"
    The fan shut up, and stayed shut up the rest of the night.

3. Naturally, the lights at Chateau Batarde d'Irlandais grow dim tonight.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

RIP, not even the tough guys beat the big C often.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There was a reason the Habs of the 1960s won Cups. No one wanted to answer to Ferguson after checking one of the Habs' stars.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

That's one of the reasons I miss hockey B.B. - Before Bettman.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Old time hockey?

(RIP, Fergie... you were one of the good ones)

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sad about Ferguson's passing. As for the last of the tough guys, I understand John Brophy's still alive.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He was coaching Richmond in a watered-down version of the ECHL last season, before being canned with two games reamaining.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Even though it was before my time, Ferguson is a tremendous loss to the hockey world. He was part of a dynasty for the Canadiens: a dynasty where the team won five Stanley Cups. I agree that the numbers that he put up for the team have not been given more attention. He was on a line with Belliveau, and Cournoyer. Ferguson Sr.'s role was to the the defensive player of the three and it was effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted