1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Dingell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Was a congressman for almost 60 years before retiring in 2015. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2014. He was 92.

Former Rep. John Dingell dies at 92

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nicknamed Tailpipe Johnny for his support of the auto industry, also a big supporter of organized labor and a national health care system (which his father initially promoted way back in 1933).

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Awaiting the demeaning Trump tweet. Once, that is, somebody on his staff tells him that Dingell was a libruhl.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not flawless, but an overall effective Congressman and seemingly just a good guy.

5. DanOregon

It blew my mind hearing about how his dad decided to run for Congress after Michigan gained FOUR new Congressional seats after the 1930 census. That's almost ten percent of the entire body.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Obama, better on his worst day by orders of magnitude than the current Oval Office occupant. That's a very nice tribute.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ummm ... check your math there?

9. DanOregon

Yeah - I'm an idiot. Still blows my mind a state adding four seats in one reapportionment.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Has the current POTUS offered a comment?

Draft saved Draft deleted