1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Challis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 19, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We all knew how this story was going to end, but damn it still sucks.

The part about Challis wishing he had the opportunity to get married and have kids really gets me, too.

I spent this past weekend visiting my best friend. He was about the same age as Challis when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. The prognosis was not good, but he refused to let that get him down. To this day, he tells me he was always thankful to G-d for giving him the opportunity to fight. He says he could just as easily have been hit by a bus, and then he would just have been gone.

An experimental treatment ended up saving his life. His last treatment was 18 years ago yesterday.

He is getting married in October and he and his fiancee are talking about having children in a couple of years. He was once told he would never have children, but the more recent tests are very positive.

The stories I have read about Challis remind me of my friend. They shared the same positive outlook, the same determination to make the best of any situation and a stronger faith than I can imagine ever having. I think of how proud I am that my friend asked me to be his best man. He is a genuinely good man. Most of the time I am too cynical to think of anybody that way. He is certainly a better one than I will ever be. I never met Challis, but I can't help but think the same of him.

I don't even want to try to figure out why one good man survived and the other had his life cut so short. I find myself thinking of Challis's best friend, who will never have the opportunity that I have to stand up with a good man on his wedding day. I think of my own wife and daughter. I think the next time that I bitch about ANYTHING, I really need to just shut the fuck up.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

OOP: That was really nice. You should think about saying some of those things at his wedding during a toast....

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have thought about it. In fact, I will write a version of the speech using some of that, but I doubt I'll use it. Light and happy might be a better approach. I'll probably bounce both versions off Mrs. OOP and see what she says.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think there's a way to coney it while keeping light and happy....I think you had a dash of thankful in there and you got it.
    I remember when my brother got married, it was shortly after my dad had a really serious illness...like-nearly-died-serious...and he stood up and just talked about how happy he was that my dad was there.....it was a nice moment that I always remember....

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Mike White's story on the funeral ...

http://postgazette.com/pg/08237/906702-49.stm

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How does any of you feel about a first-person account of a funeral story?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Didn't like the approach at all. It would have been better if it had been split into straight coverage of the memorial service and a separate on the writer's relationship with the young man.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In some ways it does seem like it is organized that way (first half seems to be about funeral, second about writer's experiences)....

I just don't know, I go back and forth about these first-person accounts, especially about a story like this where, the subject is obviously very sensitive.

I think your approach, the more I think about it, a straight news story and perhaps a sidebar about the author's experiences might have been the best way to go.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Didn't bother me at all... except the same way the room gets dusty every time I read about that wonderful young man.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just read this story tonight, because our prep writer wrote about Mike's articles in his season-opening column.

Some things in life go beyond an appraisal of journalistic treatment.

I applaud John Challis. And I applaud Mike White.

Draft saved Draft deleted