1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Barry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you loved James Bond as I did, you loved the music that went along with it. John Barry did the vast majority of it and he died on Sunday.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/01/john-barry-composer-of-iconic-james-bond-music-dies.html

Barry's scores were so distinct. I'm surprised that the LA Times blogger didn't include Born Free, one of his most famous ones. Unlike some other famous movie score composers, you can actually listen to his pieces separately from the film and still enjoy them.

I have two faves, both from the awesome On Her Majesties Secret Service soundtrack.

The theme ...

And Gumbold's Safe ...

RIP to one of the greats.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can't believe he was only 77... RIP

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He was really young when he got his start on the Bond films. The On Her Majesties Secret Service theme was the first time a synthesizer was used in a film score.

Here's another great one from that movie ... Battle At Piz Gloria

4. dieditor

dieditor Member

What an underrated movie that was. If Connery had done it, I think it would be considered the best of the series. Great music, good plot, faithful to the book. RIP, Mr. Barry.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Am I the only one who, for a second, though the basketball player had died?

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That's "Jon" Barry

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

First noticed this as background music on a Ralph Lauren commercial, then found out it is the "Fun City" cut from the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack:

It makes me want to put on a dinner jacket and have a couple of Manhattans. Classy in high-society way.

Draft saved Draft deleted