1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joey Goldstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Jenks, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

Joey passed away today in Boca Raton.

For those of us who knew Joey, and there are many, you understand what an incredible man and what a force he was in our business for the past 50-plus years.

He pushed all the buttons, good and bad. Called at all times of the day and night. Had a photographic memory and could play back your life's history in such a way that it was more entertaining listening to it than living it.

I will miss our breakfasts at the deli and I will miss the respect you showed a young newspaper editor oh so many years ago.

Be with God, Joey, and let Him say a few words, too.

Here is a story on JG by Sports Illustrated in 1987

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065976/index.htm

2. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

APSE convention won't be the same without seeing Joey. RIP.
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/news/2009/feb/021309goldstein.html
    http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065976/index.htm

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Even when you thought you knew everything about a subject, Joey knew more. When I did the Ali-Cosell book, he said, "Cosell was the first sports agent." I said, "No way." "He represented Monte Irvin and Willie Mays." "Come on, Joey." "Got 'em liquor licenses in Brooklyn."

Of course, Joey was right. And his tip opened a door of thought that proved invaluable in figuring out how Cosell became Cosell.

What a sweetheart Joey was.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very sad news. One of the great people in our business.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

what an incredible force of nature. thanks for treating this newbie like a star in 1980, joey. i'm sure you're talking up a storm with your thousands of buds in heaven. ;)

no tears from me. only smiles when i think of joey. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

6. I dealt with him -- endlessly -- to get a special credential to a Miami Heat playoff game a few years back. Thought he was a very nice elderly man who called me about 14 times too many. But I got my credential and story and everything worked according to plan. Had no idea about his back story until reading this SI story. Wish I had known a few years ago. RIP.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's strange, but I already miss him.

8. nbalum

nbalum Guest

Great horse story in here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/sports/16goldstein.html?ref=obituaries

9. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Joey was, quite simply, a force of nature. Relentless and persistent but all the while personable, charming and -- this I think is important -- appreciative.

Just spoke with Dave Herscher, who said that if Joey had slowed down at the end, it was only a little bit.

An era ended Friday. I can't imagine anyone being "the next Joey Goldstein," although pre-Mets Jay Horowitz was made of the same stuff while with Fairleigh Dickinson. He cudda been a contenduh.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

pre-mets jay, agreed, pete. great call.

the dolphins' harvey greene was also cut from the same cloth pre-yanks. he was a similar "force" when msg network was in its infancy. and remains a mensch today -- at least to those of us who recall his msg years.

11. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

I spoke with Joey not all that long ago. He was sending a packet from ESPN and he always called to let you know it was coming. No one does that anymore, but Joey always did with me.

He told me he was looking forward to coming to Pittsburgh for the summer convention. He said how much he enjoyed the city and the great sports history we have here. He was always so gracious and kind to me from the first time I met him at a convention so many years ago I can't remember.

He was the last of his type. And we will all miss him. I'm sure we'll remember him fondly at the convention here in June.

May you rest in peace, Joey.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I had the great pleasure of meeting Joey a few times, and he was kind enough to send a gift when I had my baby. That was Joey. He paid close attention to the details and always remembered them.

I hope he's having the time of his life with Mrs. Goldstein right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted