1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Joey Bishop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, Oct 18, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Frank, Dean, Peter, Sammy and Joey .... THE BAR IS OPEN!!

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Favorite line in the Obit I saw for him:

When Sinatra almost drowned filming a movie scene in Hawaii, Bishop wired him: "I thought you could walk on water."

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the Sands in Atlantic City is being imploded tonight. Now that's really eerie.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wouldn't doubt it ...

5. healingman

healingman Guest

So let me lift a glass to the Rat Pack. They're lifting their glasses somewhere right now. I bet the first question Sinatra asked Bishop when he saw him: "How's your bird?" He allegedly always asked his guy friends that one. Translation: "How's your sex life?"

RIP Joey.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Joey Bishop was a funny guy, back in the day.

I always wondered why he just disappeared about 20 years ago.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

LAT obit right here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-me-bishop19oct19,1,5721549.story?coll=la-celebrity-news

If you're too young for Joey Bishop, you missed a good one. The king of deadpan, along with Jack Benny and Johnny Carson.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

You're named Rat?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nah, Pack.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I just really, really hope your nickname isn't "Dye" ;)

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I placed the AP obit on one of my pages tonight. Favorite part of the article was the one where he was MCing JFK's inaugural gala and when the president came in and sat down, Bishop turned to him and said, "I told you I'd get you a good seat."

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The best way Bishop could be honored would be if his son destroyed all copies of Mad Dog Time. Joey surely wished his son would have directed it under the name Alan Smithee.

Draft saved Draft deleted