1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joel Schumacher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I loved his work in The Client.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I just read a piece about Schumacher last week. It slaughtered his catalog.

I saw Batman Forever in the theatres, when I wore a younger man's 'leather' shoes, and I didn't think it sucked at all.

Some poor casting choices but it was what it was- goofy escapism in the heart of the 1990s.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I watched the Bale as Batman but that's it. In general that kind of stuff isn't my cuppa.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Songbird-

The Carrey Riddler did more scene-chewing in that one movie than I've ever seen any character do.

It was a performance that probably overexposed him, for that time.

The movie is like a living comic book- that's the best compliment I can offer it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course it did. Schumacher made his share of schlock and crap - 8 mm is a little too unpleasant for my taste - but it was almost always watchable. The Client is a damn watchable movie. So is The Lost Boys, Tigerland, A Time to Kill and Flawless - which might be his best movie.

You don't direct that many movies without being a pro. It was that way with Tony Scott, too. If I saw he made a movie I was like, I'll see that. It was never boring.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't know about The Lost Boys. There is too much cheese there. I felt that way as a contemporary of the film.

But it's what happens when most of your cast is on cocaine, as it turned out.

Batman and Robin essentially destroyed the careers of both Val Kilmer and Alicia Silverstone, the latter whom was barely into a multi-picture deal, if I recollect.

That takes some doing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would have really taken some doing because Val Kilmer wasn't in Batman and Robin. George Clooney was Batman in that one.

The character of Robin was introduced in Batman Forever, with Chris O'Donnell in the role and Kilmer playing Batman. O'Donnell remained, but Kilmer was replaced by Clooney for the film that killed the franchise.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

You know what I meant, champ.

Val Kilmer's and Alicia Silverstone's careers were never the same after appearing in Batman films directed by Joel Schumacher between 1995 and 1997.

Happy?

COVID life requires doing about 10 fuckin things at once.

They were made consecutively and they really got under people's skins.

Remember people were calling Silverstone 'Fatgirl 'back then?

1997 in body shaming: the early years.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You meant Val Kilmer was in the movie even though he wasn't. It's okay to admit you messed up.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

All right, you get your bumblebee scratch n' sniff sticker for the day. Stay on topic or fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted