1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Nuxhall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a bad thing. I love Marty's acerbicness. I'll pay him the ultimate compliment you can pay an announcer ... I listen to Reds games to listen to him, I could give two fucks about the Reds in general, but he makes it interesting.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not many guys you can say that about.

Kalas, Scully, Uecker are on my list of announcers I can listen to without any vested interest in the games.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Grew up as a Reds fan in the Northeast and had to wait until the third or fourth inning of home games to pick up a strong enough signal from WLW -- West-coast games were the best because I could hear the whole game on summer nights.

Joe and Marty made for a great team. I didn't regard it as a broadcast. It felt like I was sitting in the stadium behind two knowledgeable baseball guys having a running conversation about the game and about life.

I'm at an age now where I need to check the local obits each day and I've been to way too many funerals in the last five years. Losing Joe hurts as much as the loss of any of my friends recently. He will most definitely be missed.

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Not to Marty-jack a Nuxhall thread, but does he still say "And this one belongs to the Reds" at the end of every win? That was the title of their commemorative highlight tape from 75, which I actually had on vinyl. Kids, ask your kids what that means.

If I had that, I'd listen to it right now just to hear the ol' left-hander, who called himself that back then, when he was 49. That doesn't seem so old now.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nuxie was a sweetheart who never big leagued anybody. He was one of those guys who was perfectly at home at the ballpark.

He threw batting practice for years for the Reds, then he'd shower, dress and broadcast the game.

I'm with the others -- I would dial up WLW on the way home from another ballpark, just to hear what Marty and Joe were up to. One night they had a rain-delayed game and they were talking about stopping at Kroger on the way home to pick up a late-night snack. Between pitches, they were composing their respective shopping lists. I swear Joe had sauerkraut on his, much to Marty's amusement.

Marty and Joe were one of those rare teams that fell into a perfect chemistry, and Joe was one of those guys who was perfect for his town.

So long, Joe. It was a pleasure.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Unlike everyone else responding, I wasn't a big fan of the Marty-and-Joe team. Just too many side conversations for me, not enough of what was going on in the game. That said, having lived in Cincy for 15 years, Joe was the undeniable mayor of Cincinnati. Good guy. Hometown kid. Remarkably generous. A giant of the game, having breakfast every Monday morning at the same local Bob Evans with his childhood friend. Met him only once, and it will remain one of my favorite handshakes ever. RIP, Nuxy.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

9. I realize Nuxhall was revered in Cincy like no other, but that is a staggering amount of copy.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

RIP, Mr. Nuxhall.

11. cubman

cubman Member

Absolutely. Add places like Dayton, Columbus and Lima to the list too. Wherever the Reds are big, so were Marty and Joe. They helped instill a love of baseball in me years ago down at Riverfront that never will go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted