1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe McKnight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So you simply wrote a full paragraph about the allegation that he said something, in a post about him being charged, as an interesting aside with no relevance to today's development? Gotcha.

But, yes, it does answer the question of what he said, which was my question and, as you said, is answered in the story.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What he said shouldn't be relevant to him getting charged, but the sheriff saying it did or didn't happen will absolutely sway public opinion and a potential jury pool. You seem incapable of recognizing how people actually behave and are more intent on saying they shouldn't act certain ways,

3. Dick Whitman

Huh? You are responding to an imaginary post. I am asking why it is relevant to the charging decision that he acted like kind of an asshole after the shooting was over.

This is LaQuan McDonald all over again.

"The cop fired eight shots! Eight!!!"

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wrote this: I think it was good that the sheriff's department took its time, but now I worry that some of the things Sheriff Tightass said the other day could be perceived as biasing a jury. A second witness has reportedly come fwd and said he did stand over the body and say something. So maybe he shot him from the car (as the shell casings were all found inside the car) and then got out and said something. Either way, they still needed to interview witnesses, so coming out and saying that x, y or z didn't happen had better be iron clad.

Where did I saw the comments were relevant to the charge? I said they were relevant to potentially biasing a jury.

5. Dick Whitman

Well, if the takeaway is meant to be that juries are stupid and that we shouldn't have juries in an advanced democracy, then sign me up for that one.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That advanced democracy thing sounds neat. When do we get one of those here?

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, the sheriff's not going to get invited to the next #BLM party.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Many juries are stupid, but I believe the takeaway was that the sheriff shouldn't have been saying things that could bias the jury on this case.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From the post article:

"The only witness police had spoken to at that point lied when he said Gasser got out of his car, shot McKnight through the windshield, pulled him out of his car and said he had voted for Donald Trump – and was going to “show him,” Normand said.​

Police discredited the witness’s account that Gasser stood over McKnight’s prone body, yelling, “I told you I was going to f- -k you up,” before pumping a final shot into McKnight"​

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted