1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Joe McDonnell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Joe McDonnell, the Los Angeles radio sports reporter, died today. He was 58

Joe McDonnell, Los Angeles sports media fixture, dies at 58 - LA Times

Joe once topped 740 pounds before gastric bypass surgery.

He broke all kinds of stories in LA and was a fixture at Dodger Stadium and the Forum.

RIP, Big Nasty

Songbird likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Known him for more than 30 years. He put up with a lot of shit -- jokingly and otherwise -- because of his weight. He was a really good reporter but usually pissed off most people as a talk radio host. He broke stories but was fired from just about every radio station in LA. Sorry he has passed. RIP Big Joe.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

First came across Joe when I was a VERY young pup going to L.A. press boxes, arenas and golf courses in the late 1980s/early 1990s and completely out of my element and way over my head. This is a big loss in the L.A. media, and the fact Jeanie Buss AND Mitch Kupchak are releasing statements -- and the tweets are coming from all across the country -- tells you his impact on not just L.A. radio but L.A. media overall.

Joe McDonnell, 58, longtime LA sports media figure - LA Observed

The weight issues obviously were out there. But as CLong noted, he broke a lot of stories and, yeah, pissed off a lot of people on the airwaves. The biggest L.A. sports radio loss since Jim Healy more than 20 years ago.

RIP, Big Nasty.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Krikorian is going to write a novel on this one.

One of my favorite photos is of me sitting next to Joe at the Forum during the '91 Midsummer's Night Magic. We talked for a few minutes. He had a huge cross to bare but wore it well.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Only knew him from the radio, but like most commuter rats in LA, that exposure was all I needed in order to know the man.

Mile High is spot on, it's the biggest sports radio loss in SoCal since Jim Healy. The Big Nasty was as tapped in to the LA sports zeitgeist as anyone, ever.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yet he couldn't really keep a station or time slot... He probably worked at 10 stations in LA... I wonder if he rubbed management starched shirts the wrong way.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd bet that he probably did. And so, probably, did his weight. Rightly or wrongly, weight-related discrimination absolutely does happen, whether consciously or unconsciously, and whether intentionally, or not.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You're in a business that relies on callers and you antagonize the callers?? That's a big reason he kept getting fired. When anyone disagreed with him, he'd say, "You're an idiot" and he'd cut them off.

Should we wait a few days before retelling some of the jokes at his expense??

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Big Joe was the most entertaining and honest sports radio host in LA history. RIP

11. MileHigh

12. MileHigh

It's sports radio. Not exactly a stable profession.

Draft saved Draft deleted