1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Laurinaitis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Scout, Sea Bass, Batman and 3 others like this.
  3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Saw those two at a bar once - absolute monsters.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Greatest tag team in pro wrestling history. RIP Joe.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

My godfather took me to an NWA show in Greenville, South Carolina in 1987. Saw the Road Warriors beat Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. The energy they brought to that hot ass arena was crazy. From the minute "Iron Man" started playing people jumped on their feet and were screaming for the whole match. RIP Animal.

6. Baron Scicluna

I saw him in a WWF six-man rag at a small arena where they teamed up with the Ultimate Warrior against Papa Shango and the Nasty Boys.

Naturally, I knew who would win, but to me, it was still a chance to see them. The entrance pop was great, of course. Sadly, all three babyfaces are no longer with us.

7. Baron Scicluna

Also a fun fact from Animal’s book. Paul Ellering was legitimately the Road Warriors’ manager, not just on TV. Ellering would handle their bookings, negotiate their contracts and handle the money. Animal would handle their travel and hotel arrangements and Hawk would deal with the in-ring planning (or maybe reverse the last two, as I maybe misremembering).

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Ellering talks about this (or at least his role as their real life manager) in the Dark Side of the Ring episode. I was surprised by that too.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Vice TV did a good episode on the Road Warriors on its Dark Side of the Ring series

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

James was also a three-time All-American at Ohio State. Keep in mind his shoulder pads were highly illegal.

Baron Scicluna and JC like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Don't know the cause of death, but his last name does sound like a disease.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Isn't that what killed Barbaro?

Draft saved Draft deleted