1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Garagiola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 23, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"It's Anybody's Ballgame" is a great read if you can pick it up on Amazon or at a used bookstore. Some great old stories about how baseball was and his life on Today, the Tonight Show and Game of the Week. This was the second sports book I bought as a kid, Season on the Brink being the first.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I did a Q&A with someone in Horace and Pete and referenced Kurt Bevacqua. This just streamed on Twitter.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't think baseball's been announced better on the networks since the Scully-Garagiola team in the 80s.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There is no doubt about that. Just watch Game 6 of the 1986 World Series and Game 1 of the 1988 World Series. It will not get any better than that. From play-by-play to analysis.

RIP.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did this obit break some news? I hadn't seen this anywhere. Not a total shock, of course.

"Scully, who will be retiring after this season from a career that began in 1950 with the Brooklyn Dodgers... "

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I never understood Garagiola's appeal outside of broadcasting baseball games. He came across as such a square on the Tonight Show and his stints with Today.

He was a very good commentator, although his preaching against U.L. Washington hitting with a toothpick during the 1980 World Series was over the top.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As a young kid, my first memory of Garagiola was as host of the daytime game show "Sale of the Century."

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably sounds shallow, but I can't think of a more prominent bald TV broadcaster (who didn't cover it up).

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Saw Garagiola recently on an old episode of Match Game and he was defending Howard Cosell, a frequent target of the panel. Joe said Howard was a good guy, but Gene Rayburn was having none of it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I enjoyed his broadcasts of the Westminster Kennel Club shows, as well. Yeah, the dog show is a guilty pleasure for me. I think he did it up until about 10 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted