1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

He did OK.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mark Kram's name came up earlier and his book Ghosts of Manila is essential reading about both men and their epic third fight, which remains the most brutal fight I have ever seen.

A guy like mrbio buys into all that phony shit about staredowns and the incessant hype that"these two guys don't like each other" but in the case of Ali and Frazier it was real and when you add into that all the other shit surrounding the fight (Ali calling Frazier a gorilla - among other things, Ali's wife storming to the Phillipines to confront him about his cheating) it created a unique situation rarely seen in sports.

Years ago NBC showed the fight as part of its Greatest Fights Ever series and had interviews with a number of those involved in the fight. (Frazier might have been there, but I am sure Ali wasn't.)

Futch said he began getting worried about Joe after the 11th round when he started coming out of his crouch - and right into the path of Ali's punches - because he couldn't see. (I think it was in the 12th when an Ali right knocked Joe's mouthpiece into the crowd.) He was afraid Joe was going to be really hurt if the fight went on. He had sent enough guys in against Ali to know he might be able to go to the well one more time, he knew his guy had nothing left.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Having never seen any of their fights in their entirety, I would love it if ESPN would run the original broadcasts one night.

4. joe

joe Active Member

God, that's hard to watch. Iron will in that man.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The first fight is fantastic too, the first time two undefeated heavyweight fighters each with a legitimate claim to the title, met in the ring. Sinatra at ringside taking pictures for Life magazine because he couldn't get a ticket.

Joe was a real wrecking machine that night, that showed what a truly great fighter he was. I have seen some of his fights from the 60s when he was a wrecking machine and beating some pretty good fighters like Bob Foster, Jimmy Ellis and Jerry Quarry. He was one of two guys to stop George Chuvalo, destroying his orbital bone.

The second Ali fight wasn't that great, referee Tony Perez seemed content to let Ali hold Frazier's head down any time he got close enough to him.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BigPern, I'm sure ESPN Classic will rerun the fights tonight. They'd damn well better.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What? That sounds like a great story. Can you tell me more or provide a link?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/08/8698572-frank-sinatra-photographs-joe-frazier-for-life-magazine

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF: Not only did Sinatra take pictures, but Burt Lancaster was one of the color announcers on the theater TV broadcast of the event, which cost $15 to get into (a pretty considerable sum in 1971 for a college kid) and was worth every penny and then some.
    Lancaster was better than Tony Siragusa, but not by much.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I remember right, after the fight, Ali stayed in bed for the whole night and the entire next day, while Frazier went out and partied.

Draft saved Draft deleted