1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The left hook is boxing's best punch, and no one had a better one than Frazier.

2. Quakes

Quakes Guest

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fighting Frazier (for everyone but George Foreman, at least) must've been like standing in front of a tank with a .22. You could sit there and pepper him, and he just kept coming until he clobbered you. Just relentless. That was part of what made the Ali fights so great. Ali painted him all night long, and Frazier just took it and kept plowing ahead.
    RIP to a bad, bad mofo.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Safe to say Frazier is on heavyweight boxing's Mount Rushmore, along with Ali, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano?

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"one of the immortals of pugilism, a champion in and out of the ring, Philadelphia's own Smokin' Joe, the beloved Mr. Joe Frazier." #rip

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sportscenter: 'No comment yet from Muhammad Ali.' Seriously? They're waiting for a statement??

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was a little kid when he fought, and I don't have many memories of him in his prime, except for watching him on Youtube. One incredible fighter. RIP.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He issued a statement yesterday I thought was respectful and perfectly appropriate.

I have read from various sources we have probably heard the last of Muhammad Ali issuing actual verbal statements on anything. Although I suppose you never know.

As far as Joe Frazier is concerned, he was a fighter in every sense of the word.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He was also in one of my favorite Miller Lite ads:

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Hell, Frazier himself outlived the sport by several years.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting question, but no. Dempsey, at the very least, must be there before Frazier.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How could Frazier be on it and not Foreman? Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson and Larry Holmes also are probably above him, or at least on the same level as him. Let's not go crazy, folks. Guy died. That doesn't make him any better a boxer. He was one of the 10 greatest heavyweight boxers. Not one of the four. There's no reason to exaggerate

Draft saved Draft deleted