1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joan Rivers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 4, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sad news; as a member of the half-century club, I remember seeing her as Johnny's guest host and how funny she was and how she made fun of herself. Really nice to hear how kind she was to others. May she RIP.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe it was because I only saw the '60s version but I never thought she was terribly funny.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know she was blackballed from some of the late night shows because of Carson. I don't think Leno ever had her on the Tonight Show. I think Letterman had her on recently for the first time in forever.

Kimmel and Stern were the two places she was on regularly and she always killed on both.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fallon had her on his first show. It was her first 11:30 p.m. NBC appearance since Johnny banned her.

I'm in cran's camp, never was a fan of her comedy. I do know she was a trailblazer for the genre.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I thought she was funny, but she was more interesting than she was funny. The stories she would tell on Stern were just fucking amazing. She had no problem talking about people who had pissed her off or wronged her.

Carson tried to ruin her.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This.

7. I think he succeeded.
    He certainly did as far as banishing her from his late-night kingdom for what nearly two decades. And the other late-night hosts followed his lead.

Rivers had strength and stamina to back her talent. It served her well.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't read about it if it bothers you so much. You have control of your eyes and what links you click, you know.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Apparently, Letterman had a very nice tribute to her. I haven't seen it yet. I'm curious what Kimmel did. He usually does a really nice job with tributes.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Take two!

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The other one disappeared. Must have been my potty mouth.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I can't find any Joan naked pics.

Draft saved Draft deleted