1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Vance, NBC4 Anchor, Washington DC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jim Vance is now in heaven joking around with George Michael (the sportscaster of the weekly Sports Machine... let's go to the videotape...).

Loved these guys. Always watched NBC4, because of these two and my good high school friend Jeff Greenberg who was working behind the scenes.

Great tribute from NBC4:

In Memory of Our Friend, Jim Vance

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And a classic clip of Jim and George losing it:

Riptide and Dyno like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Grew up with Jim on the Channel 4 news. By all accounts, he was pure class, and he carried himself with a great sense of cool on the air. Very sad.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Vance was the epitome of cool. The coolest cat in the newsroom and all over Washington.

I never lived in D.C., and yet I heard a lot about Vance through Kornheiser's radio shows and from friends who live in the DMV. When I read up on him, I was blown away on how phenomenal he was and did it with class.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

D.C. has a history of very smooth, professional anchors: Vance, Gordon Peterson, Max Robinson. Good sports guys in Warner Wolf, Glen Brenner, Frank Herzog and Michael. And University of Maryland produced a lot of talent: Jimmy Roberts, Scott Van Pelt, Norman Chad, Connie Chung, Tim Kurkjian, Bonnie Bernstein and Pam Ward.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted