1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jim Steinman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Apr 20, 2021.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Mangione is tremendous. Another similar guy is Bob James (played "Angela," which is the theme from "Taxi").

BobJamesAngelaOriginalThemefromTaxi.jpg

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mangione and James worked the same genre ... one on the flugelhorn, the other on a keyboard.

And "Angela" is quite good.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Right on, Bob James. Some of his later stuff is/was quite flowery and Yanni-ish (at least, from what I've heard on XM; I'll hear the first five seconds of something from the 80s and beyond and change it), but his stuff from the 70s was the bomb.

Late in 1979 he did a series of shows at the Bottom Line in New York (if you haven't checked it out already, look up Wolfgang's Vault (concertvault.com) and think about a subscription. Thousands of live concerts, from Bill Graham, the Capitol Theatre, King Biscuit Flower Hour, etc.). I found this one on YouTube, though it (and some other shows from here) are available at Wolfgang's. This one is some funky goodness, especially "Night Crawler," "Heads" and "Westchester Lady." And, of course, "Angela."

maumann likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s not called Yacht Jazz.

That is all.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Saw him open for Clapton when I was in HS. It was either 1986 or 1987. He was fantastic.

garrow and Huggy like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got way too drunk at a Concrete Blonde concert in 1993. My GF at the time was not pleased. And I still have Bloodletting on a cassette.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Oh Swingline, I'm not angry anymooooore

swingline likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And from what I've heard, Concrete Blonde's singer now gets way too drunk at Concrete Blonde concerts.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wondered why this thread was still poppin' - good stuff. Curious if they hire actual musicians to fake like they're playing when lip syncing and singing or if there is a specialized talent agency for actors. Watching Star Search in the '80s you'd see "bands" perform (not sing or play) songs when it was just the lead singer. Some of the other talk gave me an idea for a thread...

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

As far back as I was a kid I wondered where the band was as well as the backup singers.

I don't know if Top of the Pops is still a thing in Britain, but they distilled it down to a diamond nugget.

Draft saved Draft deleted