1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jim Steinman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Apr 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Oh you got that right, White. That Loaf kid was something else. Really something else. And as good as he was on record, he was even better live, they tell me. I remember when that album came out, it was right after the '77 series and a couple of the guys on the team went to go see him at Madison Square Garden. I think Cheap Trick opened for him. Anyway, Bucky Dent and Nettles were still talking about that show at the home opener against the White Sox the next year.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This should not be held against him.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I love this place.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Holy shit - I had no idea he produced "This Corrosion" by Sisters of Mercy.

Great, great song.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Some producers you can tell no matter the artist or genre. Steinman was one, as well as Mutt Lange and Desmond Child (who also later produced Bonnie Tyler).

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Steinman also produced "More" on the Vision Thing album.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

If you try to ignore the vocals, Shania Twain records sound remarkably like Def Leppard records. Both are Mutt Lange.

(The guy who used to drive me nuts with this was Jeff Lynne. Every single artist he worked with just ended up sounding like ELO.)

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've always thought Jeff Lynne sucks.
    And I mean he totally sucks. ELO, too.

YMMV. Carry on.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

I thought ELO was cool when I was, like, 10. Now I could take them or leave them. Mostly leave.

I sure as hell didn't need to hear George Harrison turned into that.

Slacker likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ellen Foley made a great record with Ian Hunter, "We Gotta Get Out Of Here" which was a studio track on his terrific live album Welcome To The Club. Mick Jones had produced Hunter's previous studio album and Foley appears on that as does "Central Park and West" which basically reworks "Clampdown" into a tale of life on the upper west side.

I have to be one of the few people who heard Steinman's album Bad for Good, which he released after writing all the songs for the Bat Out of Hell followup but Meat Loaf couldn't sing them after blowing his voice out on tour. As a singer he made a great producer and songwriter.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine says Steinman was neighbors with Kornheiser and he was waiting to hear what Tony had to say on his podcast because he would talk about him

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mr. Tony also talks about how Steinman was in high school with him. If I remember, he said he was a very odd guy. I’m sure it will lead his podcast today, after his son tells his requisite golf stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted