1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Jim Pagliaroni

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's entirely possible I missed it, but I didn't see a thread noting the passing of the former Red Sox, Pirates, A's and 1969 Pilots catcher. He was involved in some interesting bits of baseball history.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=jim-pagliaroni&pid=141566276

The online guest book includes an entry from former Pirates teammate Bob Bailey and his wife.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Awwww, shitfuck.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Wasn't he the guy in "Ball Four," who, as the team was getting off the plane in Seattle after a long road trip and getting ready to meet their wives, said "OK, guys, start acting horny."?

4. Smasher_Sloan

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"10:30? I'm not even done throwing up at that hour."

"Now look who's hitting fourth. We have Mickey Mantle and they have Jim Pagliaroni. Now who the fuck is Pagliaroni?"

RIP to one of Ball Four's good guys. Although I read somewhere that Pag wasn't too happy with Bouton after the book came out.

6. I guess heaven needed a few vowels.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess more of these Ball Four guys are going to be dropping likes flies.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

One of the smartest Italian catchers in the league...always played for the entertainment dollar.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Not true. In "I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally," Bouton wrote that he got a letter from Pagliaroni telling him he'd like to play himself in a "Ball Four" movie.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't find the link from before (it was years ago). It may have been Steve Barber who was unhappy with Bouton. Looking at the book, I can see why Barber was unhappy, with Bouton ripping on him for his sore arm.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Breathing a sigh of relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted