1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Lehrer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read his book A Bus of My Own, a good read. He had a life long love of busses, his dad was a bud guy and he worked as a bus agent in college. He says he never voted - but I've always wondered about that. Not voting doesn't prove you are unbiased. Wonder if he voted after he retired.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Very sad. I was a regular viewer of the NewsHour his last few years there. Cannot remember the last time I've watched since.

Inky said it right ... an icon of journalism. RIP, Mr. Lehrer.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mizzou's own.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Inky posted this approx. 24 hours ago. Sad there's been so little response.

Probably too busy on the politics thread. Gotta keep priorities straight.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I respected Lehrer as a straight newsman. I didn't watch much MacNeil/Lehrer though, so I didn't have anything much to say. If had been a David Brinkley thread I would have commented.

No slight to Lehrer's long and well respected career intended.

Liut likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it's probably a credit to Leher honestly - no "side" viewed him as "one of them." He was bland, didn't have to goose ratings like he would have to do at a network, didn't have to go on late-night shows, or do stunts like the morning show people have to do to prove their "relateability." He never dressed up on Halloween or hosted SNL. He wasn't a "personality" - he was a newsperson, probably the last of his kind.

Draft saved Draft deleted