1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Lange

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Feb 27, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Annnnnd heeeeeeeeeeeere they ARE!

Known mostly for The Dating Game, but he had a big radio career in California. Sad to see him gone.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/television/article/Jim-Lange-The-Dating-Game-host-dies-5271898.php

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Chronicle should be embarrassed to be running an AP obit, unless they plan to follow later. Lange did both morning and afternoon drive for KSFO when it's personality-driven format ruled in the Bay area. Oh, BTW, it had the Giants, 49ers (IIRC, he did color one year with Lon Simmons on the Niners) and Stanford as well. Later worked at KFRC (in it's Magic 61 days) and KABL (strangely enough, when they had the A's).

RIP.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I loved that show. I remember when Michael Jackson was a contestant. RIP

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Bay Area legend. His wife Nancy is a former Miss America. We used to listen to the morning show while getting ready for school every day.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's a site that scrounged up video of some celebs on the Dating Game. Tom Selleck appeared twice -- and went 0-2.

http://flavorwire.com/135953/the-dating-games-10-best-celebrity-contestants/

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not shown on that list was Red Sox Jim Lonborg- appeared in 1967 after he
    won 22 games and took the Red Sox to WS. He and his chosen date were
    sent on ski trip. Tore ligaments in knee on trip and was never the same .

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. I would hope someone from SF would follow up with comments because Jim was pretty big in those parts on the radio.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My cousin was a contestant in the late 1970s. He didn't get picked for a date, but he would get a case of Turtle Wax whenever it was rerun.

RIP Jim.

9. HanSenSE

I first saw something on the death on Twitter around 7 and the story didn't hit AP until a couple of hours later. I imagine someone will do the folo today. They're one of the few papers that has a radio column, every other Sunday in the pink section IIRC (been years since I've read the dead tree edition), by Ben Fong-Torres.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The second one is a teen Michael Jackson choosing between three middle-school girls. The part where he says they're too old must have ended up on the cutting room floor.

11. HanSenSE

Nice obit by Ben Fong-Torres:

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Farewell-to-Jim-Lange-TV-host-and-longtime-Bay-5315918.php

Draft saved Draft deleted