1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Huber

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

On a par-3, Jim scraped one off the tee that bounced off a dog's right rear leg. Instantly, laughing, he said, "Never played a dogleg par-3 before."

Class personified, as a newspaperman, as a broadcaster, as a human being.

His last Twitter feeds are scary stuff, dealing with his wife's hospitalization after possible mini-strokes and his own suddenly failing health....

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Pete Sampras might debate that. Once during Wimbledon Huber called Sampras' wife, Bridgette Wilson, "the Yoko Ono of tennis."

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Grand Slam of Golf and the PGA just got a little less interesting.

RIP Sir.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

One of the few sports guys left doesn't do "Schtick." He told stories honestly and in a straight-forward manner. Always liked him. RIP

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

...as good as his CNN obit when 'The Mick' died:

RIP to a classy guy and a real professional.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I worked with Jim for 5 years at Turner, including editing for his show 'The Sporting Life with Jim Huber' and editing for a successful golf show on CNN that he hosted and which launched around the time Tiger went pro. I was also on the road with him for a memorable U.S. Open where I did some producing, gripping and audio.

This is just terrible. It's not fair. He still had so much to say.

Jim was such a nice person, a hard worker and an stellar example of how people should conduct themselves in the workplace.

Not only was his writing and his delivery very beautiful in terms of the language itself, but he also had a sensibility. He just knew how to put things. He did a piece on Ferguson Jenkins way back... I put it up there in my top 3 pieces of sports journalism ever-- print or broadcast. There was another one on Bob Love I'll never forget. I'll never forget the details. How Bob Love got a job washing dishes at a Nordstrom.

One of Jim's favorite simple pleasures was getting in the media pool to play the course after a major. He got to play some of the most amazing golf courses the sport has to offer, including the National multiple times. If there's a Heaven, that's probably what he's doing right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted