1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Jim "Hoss" Brock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kleeda, Aug 14, 2008.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Former executive director of the Cotton Bowl Athletic Associaton, and a man in no small way responsible -- good or bad -- for the enduring power of the bowl system.

One of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, and literally in my years being around him never forgot a name, no matter how insignificant to his goals.

I wish we had one more Tuesday night dinner at Ramon's Hacienda left.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

"Now, don't you worry about the Cotton Bowl. We'll have a good game, guaranteed!"
    Heard many a year in a football press box in November.
    RIP

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A tad before my time, but RIP.

I don't doubt for a minute he found his way into a Dan Jenkins book.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was one of those persons you heard about for years, then when you finally met him, he was even better (and more) than was advertised.
    RIP. Hope the Cotton Bowl does something special for Hoss on January 1, 2009.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Kleeda -- Actually, I think Hoss did forget a few names here and there, hence the nickname Hoss. That's what he called everyone, just to avoid the embarrassment of not being able to remember someone's name. I was "hoss'd" for several years until he finally started remembering.

Even though he wasn't very tall, he was the classic image of the cigar-chomping, back-slapping Texas wheeler-dealer.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

rip to a legend in these parts

Draft saved Draft deleted