1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Hager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

When will "Buck and the Buckaroos" get into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame? (Buck's red, white and blue guitar was pretty cool, too.)

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Roy Clark!

As a kid in the South at the time, I remember "Hee-Haw" was the first time I'd ever consciously thought of "marketing." ... Somebody came up with a cornpone/middle america version of "Laugh-In." What a great idea.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Hee Haw was created by a Jewish man.

In the state of Tennessee alone, there are about 25 Jewish people, period.

I always liked Cathy Baker, the young blonde. I bet she still looks hittable.

Like most of you, for many years it was Hee-Haw v. Lawrence Welk Saturday nights at 7 pm. My interminable childhood suffering came to an end when Solid Gold came on channel 26.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cathy Baker, it turned out, settled down not far from here. She showed up at the restaurant I worked in one night with her family (I presume). She's waiting to be seated and a guy blurts out, "Hey, it's the Hee Haw chick!" This was about 10 years after the show.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

And the Moderator1 verdict on westcoastvol's "bet" was ....?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At that point, yes. But it was many years ago, not that long after HeeHaw.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In Nashville right now, there's gloom, despair and agony oh me... deep, dark depression and excessive misery. RIP, Jim.

8. i didn't know what it meant so i looked it up. that's fantastic. hat tip.

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/prestapes/lbj_haggar.html

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Reading those sentences gave me a hollow pit in my stomach, similar to that feeling you get the late Sunday night before your first day of school back from Christmas break.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed. Buck and the boys rocked harder than most through the '60s. His red, white and blue guitar was tres cool, but so were the twin Telecasters he and Don Rich played.

Buck once took out a full-page ad in a music trade journal, can't remember if it was Billboard or Music City News or whatever, pledging that he would never sing a song that was not "country" music - and then immediately followed up by releasing his cover of "Memphis." Great stuff. :D

And there were all kinds of hotties on that show....Misty Rowe from the early days of "Happy Days." Then there was Lulu Belle.... *shudder*

Draft saved Draft deleted