1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Fregosi (for real this time)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 13, 2014.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Re: Jim Fregosi hospitalized

He has now passed, according to Tracy Ringolsby of MLB.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/six-time-all-star-and-former-manager-jim-fregosi-dies-at-age-71?ymd=20140213&content_id=67757650&vkey=news_mlb

Sad to hear as a longtime Angels fan. His playing years were before my time, but I knew he was the first long-term star the franchise had (who, ironically, was traded for the man, Nolan Ryan, who would become perhaps the biggest star in club history to this point). I also remember when he took over as manager in 1978, and the Angels fortunes took an upward turn for the next year and a half, culminating in the first division title in 1979. It was a crime that he was fired from the job when he was, in 1981.

Anyway, RIP to a terrific player and someone who had a long, distinguished career in the sport.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: Jim Fregosi hospitalized

When you suckle Twitter's teat you get burned sometimes.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Eh, I was right eventually.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Steak is dead - I'll be right eventually.

This issue has come up multiple times in various places. Dan Wheldon was the one that really bothered me, though I suppose we could take the "they were right eventually" approach, too.

5. Steak Snabler

Hey, I didn't report it, I just linked what Angels beat writer Mike DiGiovanni reported. And his source was a well-known baseball agent (Dennis Gilbert).

This wasn't one of those Facebook death hoaxes. An old man, who had been hospitalized for four days, was removed from life support. They didn't do that because they thought he was going to recover.

You really think I went off half-cocked on this?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The worst one was Gabrielle Giffords.

And Steak did nothing wrong. A legitimate source reported it.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Steak advanced a lie.
    The family is owed an apology.
    It reminds me of my nieces running to the car and shouting "First!"- when they can't even get in until it's unlocked.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guess you could say that about everyone eventually.

Anyway, I don't blame you. It was a faux pas by DiGi and you weren't wrong to put up what you did.

Report and verify. Don't assume.

9. Steak Snabler

Maybe Aaron Sorkin can bring back Sports Night and devote an entire episode to everyone on set (and on the other networks) rushing to report that Fregosi is dead, but Josh Charles is the lone holdout who eventually wins everyone else to his side, 12 Angry Men style.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

"I was right eventually" is exactly why the media is considered a joke by the consuming public.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey the day before, you had the spread offense on life support.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Steak is a good guy - wasn't digging on him but using the line he used as an obvious joke. The issue itself is what bothers me, not Steak.
    And Dick may be right. My old paper reported Giffords was dead. It was 24 hours before I knew she wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted