1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Durham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Active Member

Lead ESPN radio NBA play-by-play man and former longtime voice of the Chicago Bulls died Sunday at his home in Texas.

He and Red Kerr were quite a team.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just beat me to it. Always enjoyed listening to him with Dr. Jack.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Oh my gosh, I noticed he was absent for part of the NBA Finals last year.

Was it sudden or a long-term illness?

The sports world definitely lost a unique voice.
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think you can make an argument that his call on Jordan's shot over Ehlo might be the most famous hoops call in NBA history. The league doesn't have the history of classic calls like baseball, or even football.

Some other candidates:
    * Johnny Most on Havlicek's steal.
    * Most on Bird's steal of Isiah.
    * Musburger on Gar Heard's turnaround shot at the buzzer to send game into a third OT.

Others? Sure I'm forgetting some.

I'd put Chick's call of Magic's hook in Game 4 of the '87 Finals up there but I don't know if that has the national pull of those other ones. Maybe Durham's Jordan call gets knocked down because it was the first round and Bulls lost in 2nd round (although Suns and Bird's Celtics also eventually lost).

Costas' call of Jordan's shot against Utah did nothing for me. Any Stockton memorable ones from his CBS days? You'd think Marv would have a contender but I can't think of an end-of-gamer that stands out historically. His most famous for NBC is probably Jordan's switching-hands layup against the Lakers.
  5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Marv on John Starks' most famous dunk: "Over Jordan!" I know it wasn't an end-of-gamer, but still classic. I'm sure his call of Charles Smith getting all his shots blocked as time ticked down was epic.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Story I saw said he worked the Tuesday opener last week between Miami and Boston, so I'm guessing it might have been more sudden than expected.
  7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

He and Denny Matthews (KC Royals broadcaster) both worked at my hometown's major radio station before making it to the big time in Chicago and KC, respectively. I was shocked and saddened to hear about his death today. RIP.
  8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Always loved listening to his voice on ESPN Radio. RIP.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Marv's call of Jordan moving the ball from right hand to left while in the air in Game 2 of the 1991 Finals against the Lakers was pretty good.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Marv can be a minimalist announcer at such times, much like Vin Scully. But Marv's signature moment was the Willis Reed game in the 1969-70 NBA Finals.
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He suddenly disappeared from the Dallas Mavericks broadcast in 2001. Always assumed Matt Pinto stabbed him in the back at the time. Whatever the outcome, Mark Followill succeeded them both and has been outstanding.
Draft saved Draft deleted