1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Dunaway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy Friedlander, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Hadn't seen anything posted on this, but just wanted to recognize the passing of a giant in his niche.

Jim Dunaway, the undisputed dean of track and field writers and a member of the USA Track and Field Hall of Fame, died last week at 87. He wrote as a freelancer for every publication imaginable -- New York Times, Sports Illustrated, Track and Field News, innumerable newspapers -- and covered every Olympics from 1956 to 2008, not to mention every T&F World Championships but one.

Leading athletics journalist James Dunaway passes away at 87 | iaaf.org

USA Track & Field - 2010 National Track & Field Hall of Fame inductee James Dunaway passes away at 87

On a personal note, I used to cover a lot of track and field for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Jim was a fixture at every big meet, especially here in Texas. He was a friend and something of a mentor, and I learned a lot from him in a hotel bar or two. He got me set up with freelance gigs for T&F News and the magazine he edited, American Track and Field, and helped me understand the sport and the sometimes byzantine workings of the many organizations that run it. He was the definition of the crusty veteran journalist with a million stories, a zillion wisecracks and a heart of gold.

Thanks for everything, Jim. I'll miss you.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There is a prominent TV/radio sportscaster in Birmingham of the same name. He co-hosts the Nick Saban Show, among other things.

RIP to this Jim Dunaway all the same. Anyone who makes it easier to cover a track meet is truly a gift from God.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thought it was the former NFL lineman and alleged killer of his ex-wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted