1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Bibby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sad news out of Lynchburg, Va.
    In 1993, I did one of those "week in the life of" stories about a Class A baseball team - Lynchburg. Bibby was pitching coach. An interesting guy.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/professional/professional_baseball/article/retired_major_league_pitcher_jim_bibby_dies/324889/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got his autograph on a 1981 NL All-Star card at a Giants game when I was a kid.

RIP

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great bloodlines in that family.

RIP to a great Bucco. I can still see the sweat dripping off the brim of his hat.

I think he retired 27 straight once. Gave up a leadoff hit, and it was lights out from that point.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He had 38 decisions (19-19) in 1974. Wow

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

damn i feel old. bibby was one of the 1st players i remember from childhood. rip.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of the first baseball cards I had was of Bibby. RIP.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to Mike Shropshire, former Star-Telegram Rangers beat writer and author of "Seasons in Hell" (a great book about the early 70s Rangers and that era of baseball in general), Bibby had the most-impressive "equipment" in the big leagues, if not the entire world.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

He was a real fireballer. Even though he was primarily a starter, he threw it a la Goose Gossage ... just rear back and fire away.

Bibby started Game 7 of the '79 World Series and left with the lead in Game 4. 93Devil brought up a great memory ... Bibby's hat would be soaked through by the second inning.

9. After his playing days, he had a good run as a minor league pitching coach and always had great stories to tell.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Jim Bibby was a bitch. Anyone who batted against him would tell you how hard he threw. Condolences to the Bibby family. Definitely makes you think of your own mortality.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I have a lot of fond memories of him pitching too. He seemed to be always smiling in his baseball cards.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just realized Bibby was the same age as my dad (actually, he was about two months older). Also noticed from looking at his stats that he didn't make his major-league debut until age 27. Anyone know why?

Draft saved Draft deleted